I slammed the cabinet door after forcefully plopping clean bowls into their rightful place. I stormed back to the dishwasher and yanked silverware from their basket before throwing them into their storage place in the kitchen drawer. No one in the house had to ask if I was angry.
Over the years, I’ve gotten much better at controlling my anger. I’ve learned to step back from difficult moments, take a few intentional breaths, and focus on what’s important. Often I can release the situation to God, letting Him deal with both me and the other person.
But every once in a while …
Let’s face it, anger is common. From mild irritation to uncontrolled rage, all of us feel its pricks — including those we consider to be great heroes of the Bible.… Read the rest
“I don’t need to ask for your forgiveness because I didn’t do anything wrong.”
What irritated me most about that statement was the fact that the man who said it to me had never even bothered to ask what the problem was. He knew I was angry with him. I don’t hide anger well anyway, but by his actions and his words over the previous couple of weeks, I knew he knew.
Yet when I’d finally calmed down enough that I thought we could have a conversation about it, that is what he said to me. Let’s just say that his statement didn’t go over well. My mind was furious; my heart was deeply hurt.
For months I stewed, talking to God and asking for clarity.… Read the rest
Many of you are either military or part of a military family. Or love and support a military family.
That’s why I’m excited to introduce to you the new Military Families Bible by B&N Publishing!
This beautiful, imitation leather Bible (Holman Christian Standard version) includes thirty devotions and thirty prayers written by military authors for military families.
- Seeking fulfillment in your life as a military spouse? This Bible has a devotion for that — written by me!
- Feeling alone during deployment? Yep, a devotion for that too.
- Need a prayer for trusting God’s provision during seemingly dire circumstances? Chaplain (Colonel) John Laing wrote one specifically for that.
- Want some guidance to know how to pray for your solider, sailor, airman, or Marine to follow orders wisely and accurately?
I know most of you are readers and like to hear about great new books or authors. Every couple of months I try to help you out by updating you on something in the publishing world.
In February, I listed ten excellent authors you may not have heard of, and if you missed that post, you can find it here.
This month, I want to share with you the eight best books I’ve read so far this year.
1. A.D. 30 by Ted Dekker. Phenomenal. More than once I identified with the thoughts of the main character, although our lives are tremendously different. I love her interactions with Jesus, but more than that, I was particularly struck by her conversation with Stephen. … Read the rest